Orthodontic appliances can be very helpful at achieving and maintaining a patient’s dream smile. While orthodontists are an essential contributor to these treatments, there is no denying that you, the patient, have an important role to play as well. When it comes to orthodontic treatments, contributing positively to your care can truly make the difference between success and failure.
At your first appointment, your situation will be evaluated as will your future orthodontic goals. At this time, we will determine the proper treatment plan as well as provide you with an estimated length of treatment. While we do our best to be accurate with the timeline we provide, there is no way to know exactly how long a treatment will take as each patient is undoubtedly different.
However, having an effective and efficient treatment process is precisely where you can make the most difference. Paying close attention to the following tips can and will help immensely:
1. Never delay your adjustments. Always schedule then precisely when they should be received.
2. Never be late for your appointment. We understand that life can get in the way but arriving late often lends itself to hurried evaluations and rushed adjustments. You want to make sure that all important items are addressed at each visit.
3. Don’t neglect oral hygiene. If anything, brushing and flossing are even more important when you are wearing a dental appliance. Not to mention that complicating issues such as gum disease and tooth decay can add time to your treatment.
4. Follow your treatment plan exactly. If you are required to wear appliances and rubber bands, make sure to wear them at all the prescribed times. Neglecting to do so will slow the shifting of your teeth.
5. Always wear mouth guards when you participate in sporting events to protect your braces and other appliances.
Following these tips and tricks could very well speed up your treatment and allow you to enjoy the brand new smile you deserve!